Friday, February 8, 2008

Queenstown NZ - Paraglide

January 10, 2008

I never in a million years thought that I would jump off a mountain - even if there was a experienced pilot handling the ropes. But this is one of the most exciting adventures I have had in my 60th year - so far!

The take-off EH!

Originally my room mate and I were going to paraglide off the hill above Queenstown known as Skyline Peak, but the winds this January morning were a little too active in town. It was actually a good thing it was windy in town becasue after our morning of jet boating we were getting braver and both thought that we should have opted for Coronet Peak instead of the tamer intown site.

We were driven out to Coronet Peak the ski hill located in the Remarkable mountain range about 25 minutes out of Queenstown. I was amazed at how calm I was at the takeoff and just followed the directions of my pilot - and walked off the cliff! We caught some good thermals and actually climbed to the summit of the mountain, where we had a good view of the whole area on the backside. I was wearing shorts and my legs were freezing at these altitudes, but as cold as I was it was a fantastic sensation to fly, and climb, and turn with the power of the wind.


This is the "survivor" picture.

The ride was fun and we had a uneventful safe landing on 2, or should I say 4 feet

No comments: