Saturday, October 27, 2007

1890 Crossing the Colorado River at Lee's Ferry

It was late in the day when we arrived at Lee's Ferry, now a popular rafting spot. The setting sun was changing the river water into a brilliant rusty hue. I quickly searched for the places where I thought the original ferry was located from my previous research (A steel wire cable basket for Park Service use now crosses the Colorado River at the old ferry site). Note the tower on the far side of the river. I also searched for the route out and remembered the rough rocky climb my great grandmother had described. All of the cliffs went straight up, except for one section where it was possible. There it was ....the route to the other side!
These are the words of Nannie Emelia Anderson my Great Grandmother.

I was happy and contented in our new home but not for long. My husband felt we should return to Arizona and fulfill that mission we had formerly been called on. I did not want to leave my comfortable home and, also, my mother’s health was very poor and I hated to leave her. As Always I let him have his way. I had two sisters and their families living in that part of the country and they wanted us to come out there. In the spring of 1890 we sold our home and farm, fitted up two wagons and driving several head of milk cows we started our long lonesome journey with just our children. We cooked our meals over the campfire, using the “Dutch Oven” to bake our bread in.

When we arrived at the Big Colorado River at Lee’s Ferry we found that the ferryboat had been washed down stream. Mr. Johnson the man who ran the ferry was building a new boat and it would be two or three more weeks before it would be finished. My husband felt he could not wait that long, so he persuaded Mr. Johnson to take us across in just a small rowboat. Mr. Johnson did not like the idea. He said he was risking his own life as wall as ours. But he finally consented. It took a whole day to get all of our stuff across. The wagons had to be taken apart and a few pieces taken at a time. The animals had to swim across. One of the men in the boat held the rope, which was tied around the animal’s neck.



One old cow refused to swim when about half way across. It looked as if they would have to let her go down stream as she was pulling the boat past the landing and below were rapids. However, with determined effort they got across. It was a great relief when we got everything across, our wagons assembled and loaded and ready to continue on our journey.





The road out of the river bend was very steep and two teams had to be hooked on one wagon. The horses seemed to be afraid of the river and almost backed the wagon into the river. Then we crossed what was known as Lee’s backbone, a rough rocky ridge. On days when the road was very rough I walked as much as I could possibly stand. I was in a delicate condition and one time in particular, I had walked until I became so tired I could not walk and more. I had to ride reguardless of how I felt. That night I thought sure my baby was going to be born. Out on that desert, hundreds of miles from a living soul we made preparations for it. But I am sure the Lord heard and answered our prayers for I was spared that terrible ordeal.

No comments: